Ringwood Road, Christchurch, Dorset, BH23 8JH


Bransgore Church Of England Primary School

Growing in the forest



The Course


Q.When does the course run?

A. From September to June each year

Q. Do I have to train in one of your partnership schools?

A. Yes. Our schools are chosen with great care and staff in them are specifically trained to support you. We welcome expressions of interest from schools interested in joining our partnership.

Q. Do I still get a PGCE with school-based School Direct training?

A.Trainees who successfully complete our programme will be awarded QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) and a PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate in Education) with Masters credits. All PGCE students are enrolled in the Postgraduate Certificate in Education, which includes 60 credits of Master’s level study.  An alternative exit award, the Professional Graduate Certificate in Education, is available if you do not achieve the masters-level elements of the programme. Both awards include QTS and provide excellent preparation for teaching in schools.

Q. How is the course assessed?

 A.The course is assessed through 5 modules. There are made up of three university based assignments and two assessed school placements.



Q. When should I apply?

A.The course is very popular so it is advisable to apply as soon as you are in a position to do so. Applications via UCAS for Apply 1 open in October and we receive most in the Autumn and Spring terms. You can apply to Bransgore School Direct through Apply 2, as we continue to recruit until late June.

 Q. How much are your tuition fees?

A. Our Non- Salaried School Direct places are subject to a Programme Fee of £9,250 (in line with other local and national accrediting bodies).

Q. What financial support is available with school-based training?

A. You may be eligible to apply for a student loan/ finance to fund your teacher training. Visit www.direct.gov.uk/studentfinance.

 Q. I've lost my academic certificates. Does this matter?

A.  Yes.  Applicants who are offered a place will be asked to provide the original certificates for these examinations.  Replacement certificates can be requested from the examination boards for any lost/stolen certificates.  Full details can be found on the Ofqual (Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulations) site.

Q. I gained my academic qualifications outside of the UK.  Can I still apply to your programme?

A.  Yes.  You can gain verification that your qualifications are equivalent to those needed by contacting www.enic.org.uk

Q. Do I need to take English and Maths Proficiency audits at interview?

A.  Yes.  We ask all applicants to undertake English and Maths baseline proficiency audits at interview which provides us with data used to assess whether you would need additional support in English and Maths throughout the programme to reach the required standard.

Q. My degree is lower than a 2:2.  Can I still apply to your programme?

A.  Yes, you can still apply, however you would need to demonstrate strong outcomes across all other areas at interview to be offered a place on our course.

Q. My degree is not in the subject that I wish to train to teach.  Can I still apply to your programme?

A.  Yes. 

Q. Can I apply if I am still currently finishing my degree?
A. Yes you may apply but any offer made would be conditional on you obtaining your honours degree at a level 2:2 or above..

Q. Can I apply if I am waiting for exam results for GCSE's?
A. Yes you may apply but any offer made would be conditional on you obtaining your GCSEs at Grade C (or Grade 4 with newer GCSEs) or above.

 Q. Where can I find independent information on Initial Teacher Training?

A.  Further details on Initial Teacher Training can be obtained from the Department for Education’s ‘Get Into Teaching’ site, which provides all the information you need about a career in teaching and how to get there. There is an option to register with them for information and advice.